Friday 9 November 2007

Also you have to wind it

Woohoo! Finished my boyfriend socks!

They are made in my modified version of Knitty's Thuja pattern. I didn't really do the modification on purpose, I think I just misread the pattern, and only noticed a lot later on. It is not that much of a dramatic change, I just simply used a 3x1 rib throughout the sock rather than the seed stitch that the pattern calls for. I also suspect that, had I tried to do the proper seed stitch, I would have had to undo lots of rows as I forgot and just knitted on.

The socks are knitted in Inca Cloud Artesano Alpaca in charcoal. They are plain but warm socks, and they do fit my boyfriend nicely. To match his feet and the yarn, they are knitted with 3.5mm bamboo dpns. Since the first time I tried bamboo (because they didn't have metal in the size I wanted) I fell in love with it, and now that is what I wish to knit with.

The 1x1 rib has 10 rows, and there are 42 rows until the heel starts. The 42 is not an arbitrary number. After all, I am knitting socks for my boyfriend.
When I knitted other socks I found the pattern very tight around the bridge of the foot, so I picked up and knitted 12 stitches rather than 11, doing the decrease once more. After the decrease is done, I knitted 43 extra rows for the foot (I wanted to do 42 again, but the sock proved too small). The toe decreases also have 3 extra knitted rows, after decrease knits 7, 5 and 3.

The socks were, as the pattern promised, incredibly fast to knit. This was the 3rd pair I did, and I think I will keep it in store for when I want to knit more socks as presents. I would like to knit some for me, but I don't know yet how the pattern would react to non-wool yarns.

In the meantime, I am several rows into my blue Tomato. And it's coming along really nice.

[Pics of the sock will happen once I get my boyfriend to wear the socks, when he comes back from his week away. I would try them on myself, if I wanted the skin of my feet to fall off. Which I don't.]

Edit, 06/01/08: Pictures!
Boyfriend socks

Boyfriend socks

No comments:

Post a Comment