Sunday 14 September 2008

Links of the week, 14/09/08

Better later than never, I would like to say to all of you a bit THANK YOU for all the lovely comments in my wedding accessories post. They were so nice!

I have been trying to catch up with the internet from the days I was away, as I did not check my email at all while on holidays. This clearly proves that I am not an addict!


ATLAS (LHC) assembly montage
As you are probably aware, the Large Hadron Collider was turned on on the 10th September. The world, of course, didn't end (teeny black hole would have been teeny). Here is a video of the assembly of the ATLAS experiment.
Nanoships in medicine
One of the problems with tumors is that some of them are very difficult to access, and medication cannot be delivered to them directly, arriving in very dilute quantities. This nano-ships, coated in chocolate (well, a compatible lipid) so that the inmune system doesn't notice them, can travel in your blood stream and deliver the drugs straight to where they are needed! For now, this has only been tested in mice. We are, however, one step closer to the nanogenes from The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances. You know the ones I mean.
Road safety, Mars style
Like good drivers, the Mars Rovers can't talk to Earth and drive at the same time!
National Geographic Photography Contest
The images from the contest have been turned into walpapers. Like a lot of "extreme" pictures of the Earth, they look alien and beautiful, and I will totally use one of them when I get tired of my current yarn walpaper.
Bears like chocolate too!
The oldest known polar bear is ill, and has lost lots of weight. At the moment, she is on a diet of chocolate and cupcakes, because it's one of the few things she can eat and is helping her put some fat on for the winter ahead. Mmm, chocolate.
Invisible skyscraper
is invisible!

1 comment:

  1. Love those NatGeo images - can't even choose a favorite!

    I'm not too surprised at the nanoship development, after all today's science fiction is tomorrow's science fact. (And I just saw those episodes again recently - #9 is my favorite Doctor.) But what I'd really love is a method of delivering meds to cats so they don't notice them!

    ReplyDelete