Wednesday 20 August 2008

Hopes for better sleep

On Sunday, when I was mostly hibernating because my energy levels were so low, I discovered that I can knit and read at the same time!
Granted, it was only a swatch (for Emerald) and a book that I've already read twice (Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince), and both went pretty slow, but both went. I am the Queen of Multitasking!


My (new but equally nice) doctor was very puzzled yesterday that reducing my propanolol had made me more tired, because it was really not meant to do that! Yesterday I was so exhausted that I nearly couldn't be bothered to go to Tai Chi, and you know how much I like it and how good it does to me.

As a result of her confusion, we are running a bit of an experiment. I'm decreasing my propanolol a bit more, and alternating taking it and not. On the days that I take it, I will also take some sleeping pills (zopiclone), to help us determine whether my exhaustion is due to poor sleep or if there are other causes (despite my recent blood tests being impeccable). In the days that I do not take the propanolol, I won't take anything to sleep, to see how my sleep acts when it's not chemically affected by the propanolol. We'll only be running this experiment for two weeks, partly because the sleeping pills she gave me are highly addictive, and I'm also incredibly reactive to changes in medication, so it should be plenty of time to tell.

I took yesterday my first sleeping pill. ~Funny enough, it took me a bit longer to fall asleep than normal, as I was a bit anxious as to what effects it was going to have on me. I think my dreams were slightly less vivid than normal, more subdued, less bright colours, although they were still there most of the night. I think I slept a bit better, though, although Tai Chi always helps with that.

I'll guess I'll just have to wait and see.

2 comments:

  1. Hah - I remember when I was a kid I was so excited when I found out how easy it was to read & walk at the same time! I had teachers how would assign laps around the big yard as punishment to be completed during recess periods. Released from the tortures of team sports to walk round & round reading? Heaven!!! So I didn't turn in much homework that year so I could keep getting assigned laps!

    Your drug experiment sounds a little scary - I'm glad you're not going to do it for longer than two weeks. But glad the Tai Chi is helping - keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great being able to knit and do something else at the same time isn't it? The problem I have with reading is keeping the book open. I always need to prop my phone or something in the middle.

    Hope you get your sleepiness sorted soon. I had the vivid dreams when I was taking meds too, and was superexhausted, but yours sounds worse! I agree with Kath, exercise is good. I always find it wakes me up and gives me energy.

    ReplyDelete