On Saturday I wanted to have my hair loose (mainly so it would dry after my much-deserved post furniture-assembling shower), but I didn't want to get it on my face. The next day, I searched Ravelry and cast on for the Red Headband. Alex asked why red, and it's because I like red, it looks well on me, and I had some red yarn about (leftover from the Fetching mitts).
The crossing stitches took me a bit to get, but only the first or second time I did them, then they went pretty quick. I only cast on 18 stitches instead of 24, as the pattern works on a 6 stitch repeat.
I blocked it on Tuesday, by sprinkling it, then ironing through a cloth, then sprinkling it again and leaving it to dry stretched on the carpet.
It took me a bit to get used to wearing it yesterday, because I rarely wear my hair down, but it felt ok pretty soon. I am still thinking about cutting my hair all short, but I haven't been bother yet.
Ravelry project page
Pattern: Dream Swatch head wrap, by Wendy Bernard, from Knit and Tonic
Yarn: Oasis Solid (South West Trading Company) in Red, approx 80 meters.
Needles: 3.75 mm
Technical notes: Because I know Oasis stretches, I knitted it deliberately with smaller needles, to keep it a bit tight. Gauge is really not critical, I don't think I actually checked it at all (well, I did put up the cast on needle to my head, to check the width). Would recommend it as a quick but a bit interesting project, and as a not boring-looking headband.
Unusually for me, I'm very happy with how this pictures turned up!