Sunday 31 May 2009

Links of the week, 31/05/2009

Lots of space and aero this week, apparently!


How Sesame Street Changed the World
I used to watch Sesame Street when I was little (there is a picture of me when I was about 1 and a bit years old watching it, in black and white!). Of course, I couldn't know about all its benefits back then, but I still remember their song about crossing the road when the light is green.
Carina Nebula Panorama from Hubble
I shouldn't look at space pr0n at work, but this is just amazing.
B-2 Spirit
Isn't this, well, sexy? I'm drooling over this plane. Look at the trailing vortices in picture 5. I'll be in my bunk.
Robot exoskeleton
Robot exoskeletons are something very common in science fiction. While the ones in real life have, at least initially, medical applications, most of the ones I have read about or seen are involved with heavy work (like in Aliens) or warfare (for example, in Starship Troopers - the book, not the movie!). I want one too.
Rendezvous around the Moon
Before Apolo 11 made it to the surface, Apolo 10 tested their systems.
10 Amazing Sculptures Made of Typewriters
I learned how to type in my father's electrical typewriter. However, I do remember very vividly how once, when I was quite small, I went with him to the high school where he taught, and there was a very old typewriter lying around. I spent hours playing with it, watching the little arms move.
Whack-A-Kitty
No kittens were harmed in the production of this video. WARNING: may melt your brain of cute.
3D murals
Amazing murals. I have had trouble distinguishing what is real from what is drawn.
Waiting for Godot
I have tickets, I have tickets!
Hubble's final servicing mission
Several pictures of the last Shuttle mission, to service Hubble. We like Hubble, and I want to be an astronaut! I also learned a couple of days ago that one of the astronauts in this mission is a huge Star Trek fan, so NASA encoded the movie and beamed it up, so they could watch it aboard the ISS. Which is awesome.
Infrared picture of Shuttle Atlantis
I really want to be an astronaut!
PARA ABNORMAL
Knittar is a recurrent character in Para Abnormal, which leads me to think he is a knitter or has a knitter in his life. This time, Knittar fights the enormous Quilt Giant OF DOOM! Thursday's comic is also knitting-related. Subscribe to it and reyoince in the yarn.

1 comment:

  1. Aaaaawwwww.....that's mean! Poor Kitties....even gentle whacks aren't fun!
    Puss cats of the world UNITE!!!!!!!
    Kitties of the world hear me....we must take a stand....we must have REVENGE OF THE KITTIES! I shall lead you against all evil kitty whackers!!!!!!!!! *wicked laughter*

    ReplyDelete