Wednesday 13 May 2009

Cold turkey

Cold turkeyI have been taking sertraline for 2 1/2 years now. Funny enough, I have spent 1 1/2 of those years trying to stop taking it! The first decrease program my doctor and I devised (which would have taken me from 50mg/day to none in 2 months), proved too much for my brain. After about a year, I managed to go down to 25mg, which is an incredibly small dose.

Last time I tried to stop taking it, I went for 25-25-0. However, my body decided to interpret this as me forgetting my meds, and went on withdrawal. I would then give it meds for two more days, so it wasn't getting used to no meds.

I'm going to try again. However, I have explicit permission from my doctor to go cold turkey. Because it is such a small dose, quitting cold turkey shouldn't fry my brain, and hopefully this way I can get through the withdrawal phase in one go, rather than starting and stopping. My doctor has arranged a phone consultation for next week, so we can discuss how I'm doing. I will still be taking the other antidepressant at night, which I also want to stop, but I'm only going to change one variable at a time.

My apologies if I am a bit weird(er) on the next bunch of days. I expect that they will be exciting times for me, but I hope they are not exciting for those around me.

4 comments:

  1. I hope it goes smoothly for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that your cold turkey is not too cold ;)
    you'll survive! you're strong, you know you're my role model so you have to survive...

    hugs!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the support. Day 1 (yesterday) was fine, although I still had meds in my system then. Today is the first day I don't have anything left, but so far it has been going ok. I hope it lasts!

    ReplyDelete